Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Why I would have trouble supporting an Ignatieff Liberal Party.

Let me explain personally why I believe that Ignatieff isn't the right man to lead the liberal party and why I cannot believe that the party brass support him. I personally think Him or Rae would be a disaster for the Liberals and the fact there are people out there who actually believe they could win back government for us are completely out of their mind. If Michael Ignatieff wins the Leadership Election, I would have trouble supporting the party, the only way I would vote liberal is if my local candidate is strong and I've heard from my MP that she is seriously considering stepping down. If that is true then that would be what my vote is based on. Mr. Ignatieff is way too right wing for my taste, he would be Jack Layton's dream come true. He would give Jack Layton everything he needs to help make the case that the Liberals have shifted to the right. Many people will doubt what I say, I personally have a problem with someone like Iggy coming into my country and hijacking our party. It feels invasive. Mr. Ignatieff might make a good cabinet minister probably a foreign affairs minister. But in no way should this man be leader. Bob Rae is almost as worse. If Rae or Ignatieff are selected, The death of the Liberal Party will occur. I am basically at the point now where i hope either Dion or Kennedy win. They are the only ones who can help the liberal party.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ignatieff is not right-wing. He would be the most left-wing leader we have had since Trudeau. Look at his policies not where he worked for 3 years.

Winnipeg Liberal said...

Could you expand more on why you view Ignateff as "right wing"? On economic and social policy, his views are well within the mainstream of the Liberal party, perhaps even to the left of it.

It is only on foreign policy that he gets tagged as right wing. But given that Ignatieff's foreign policy views are rooted more in concern for human rights than advancement of national economic interests, he is arguably more left than right on that issue.

I find the right-wing/left-wing labels to be highly unhelpful. Ignatieff, of all people, cannot be easily pigeon-holed.

If you disagree with his foreign policy views so much that you cannot support him, that is fair enough, but I would encourage you to look more closely at his policies if you are operating under the assumption that he is "right-wing" on other issues.

Anonymous said...

You just summed up my exact thoughts on the liberal leadership race. I sincerely think Dion is the right choice for the libs and the right choice for Canada. Ignatieff should go back to Harvard.

Monkey Loves to Fight said...

I would disagree with your assessment on Ignatieff simply because he is really on right wing on foreign policy, which rarely decides election outcomes. As for Rae, considering you live in Oakville, which is part of the 905 belt, almost went Tory last election and went massively for Mike Harris in the 95 and 99 election, I would be curious to find out how Bob Rae would fare today in the 905 belt since some say the 905 belt is not as right wing as it was 10 years ago, others say little has changed.

Neo Conservative said...

i may have to change my vote

if liberals can actually raise the dead...that's some powerful juju

Anonymous said...

I kind of hope Iggy wins, Harper will rip him a new one in a debate with all the slips he has...

Joy to the world and all that,

Cheers,
Peter