Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 17, 2007

My Thoughts on the By-elections

Let's be honest folks this was a clusterfuck of enormous proportions, this by-election never should have been lost but really I think it had to do with the following.

1. Stephane Dion's candidate, Jocelyn Coulon was badly hurt by perceived anti-semetic writings. It was a really bad decision to put a candidate who had controversy with the Jewish Community up for election.

2. Jack Layton had the best candidate he could get to run for him in that riding and rightfully so, because I would bet you my life savings that if Mulcair did not run, The Liberals would have had this riding. I am almost certain they would have.

3. Is this an indictment of Stephane Dion's leadership? Yes and no, Obviously Dion made a terrible decision by putting up a Candidate like Coulon. However, I again do believe that had Mulcair not been the NDP Candidate, he would not have won. That being said, I think that Dion took the high road and even saw a silver lining in this, as much as I hate having another conservative elected, I would take a federalist over a sovereignist any day.

Stephane Dion is that rare person who has unbridled optimism despite what people say about him. So while this was a terrible terrible error, I am sure that Dion can rebound from this. However, I am really hoping the Liberals do not want to go into an election right now. It would be a huge mistake, We need to see the Conservatives make a big mistake and so far they aren't. However, I personally feel that Harper is not going to make a move until after October 10, that's after the Ontario Provincial Election, BTW.

No comments: